Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

salsa de manzana y jicama


¡me encanta Mexico! Translation: I loooove Mexico!  It is one amazing place. The sites, smells and flavors are to DIE for.  Every year around this time I get antsy to travel, especially to a warm place like Mexico.  The other day I was really missing Mexico and longing for a little trip there.  Seeing how I couldn't make the trip at that moment I decided I would bring Mexico to me, in form of the flavors!


I threw together this a super refreshing dish.  I enjoyed this with apple slices, celery and green cabbage - which I used has tortilla chips.  It was buenísimo!  You can enjoy this on top of a salad, tacos or just by itself.

salsa de manzana y jicama
{apple-jicama salsa}

1 jicama, diced
1 apple, diced (I used a granny smith)
1 shallot, minced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 avocado
handful fresh cilantro, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
2-3 limes, juiced
salt & pepper, to taste

Method

1.  In a medium bowl mix together the first 4 ingredients.

2.  Halve the avocado. Cube one half and add to the medium bowl.  In a separate bowl, mash the other half of the avocado and fold in with the jicama-apple mixture.

3.  Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper.

4.  Place in an air-tight container.  Cover with saran wrap, gently pressing it on the surface of the salsa before covering with the lid. The saran wrap will help prevent the avocado from turning black.

5. Refrigerate until you are ready to enjoy.

Variations:
  • additional/alternative ingredients: cucumbers, bell peppers, jalapenos, mango, pineapple...

No comments:

Post a Comment