Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Homemade Mayonnaise {Love}

Who doesn't love mayo?! I don't use it often (and use it even less now since I don't make sandwiches), but this doesn't mean I don't love it.  It is a great little treat every now and again, especially if I have a burger to put it on and/or sweet potato fries to dip it in.  There is one problem - finding mayo that isn't made with highly processed oils and sugar (really?) is pretty darn hard!  The solution - make my own.  This was the third time I had made my own. The first time was a complete failure.  For one, I used extra virgin olive oil - bad idea - it gives way too strong of a taste.  Secondly, I was not patient. I didn't take my time adding the oil in so it never really emulsified. You live and your learn!

I followed Everyday Paleo's recipe with a few modifications.  This was definitely is a little bit time consuming... but well worth it. I am going to try Mark Bittman's food processor recipe next time!


Homemade Mayonnaise

2 eggs
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard (more or less depending on preference)
2 cups olive oil- not extra virgin
sea salt
pepper

 Method

1. Mix the the eggs in the blender.

2. Blend in the vinegar, lemon juice and mustard. 

2. With the blender running (I had my VitaMix on 4/10), slooooowly - I mean really slow- add olive oil.

3. Once the mixture begins to thicken, you can start adding the rest of the oil a bit faster.  Do not dump all the oil in quickly and give up!!  

4. Once it has reached your desired consistency, turn the blender off.  Fold in salt and pepper.  

*Next time I am definitely going to use Mark Bittman's method. I wont have to hold the measuring cup of olive oil up for 15-20 minutes. Thank goodness!

Tips/Tricks:
  • This makes a lot, unless you have big plans to use it up quickly, I recommend halving the recipe. 
  • Make sure you use just olive oil, not extra virgin.  Extra virgin will give it a very strong taste.
  • Julia Child says to make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature.
  • Alton Brown recommends that you allow the to at room temperature for one to two hours before you refrigerate. The acid in the lemon juice will indeed inhibit bacterial growth (apparently colder temperatures reduce it's effectiveness.)
Variations:
  • If you don't have a blender or food processor you can do the old fashioned way by whisking it.  Alton Brown has a great recipe and video that is helpful to watch prior to making your mayo.  Alton is pretty amazing!
  • Make aiolis, aka flavored mayonnaise, by adding different spices and herbs.
    • Curry powder. (One of my favorites- it adds a nice pizzaz!)
    • Garlic
    • Chipotle powder
    • Fresh Dill
    • The opportunities are endless
Links:
Alton Brown Method with video- he calls for corn oil, I would use olive oil (corn oil is highly processed).

No comments:

Post a Comment