Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Warm Coleslaw

Cabbage,  it is an excellent source of vitamins (including C and K), minerals and fiber that are important to your health!  I have been obsessed with cabbage - especially green cabbage.  It is just so versatile: I use it as a tortilla for tacos and enchiladas, "toast" for my eggs, chopped for salads, in soups, as a chip to dip in nut butter or salsas and of course, I use cabbage for coleslaw!  Lately, I have been trying out all different types of coleslaw. Since it is  "snowmageddon" here in the Pacific Northwest, I really wanted a warm coleslaw. 

I adapted this recipe from Stacey's Paleo Kitchen, a fabulous blog I recently stumbled upon. I will definitely be visiting her site often!


Warm Coleslaw

Coleslaw
1     head of green cabbage
4-5 carrots, shredded or juilienned

Dressing
4 tbsp olive oil
6 tbsp tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
6 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp  ginger, chopped
2 tsp  garlic, minced
juice of one lime

chopped cilantro

Method

1. Thinly slice cabbage and shred or julienne carrots.  Place coleslaw mix in a bag or Tupperware container.

2. In food processor or blender process the dressing ingredients. Place in container with a lid.

3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and carrot mixture and saute for a 2-3 minutes.

4. Pour desired amount of dressing into skillet (I used about 2-3 tbsp for 2 handfuls of the cabbage/carrot mix).  Cook for a few more minutes, but not too long as you still want the carrots and cabbage to have a slight crunch.  Remove skillet from heat and add chopped cilantro.

Do Ahead: At step 2 you can throw the prepared coleslaw mix and jar of dressing in the refrigerator to cook later.  I purposely made a lot so that I would be able to do this. 

Tip: If you prefer not to use oil you can use broth to do a wet saute.

Other uses: Use dressing on salads and meat! I love versatile meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment