Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Snow Day WOD!

Snow on the roads is no excuse for not working out!

Because of the snow and ice on the road my car was going to stay parked all day.  Thus, I would be making no crossfit appearance or getting on my bike (outside at least) or going to the Y.  So, an at home WOD it would be. (WOD= Workout Of the Day)

The workout making process begins (I love putting workouts together!).  I really need to get on my bike so I knew I needed to incorporate that in.  I also wanted a total body workout.  As I was sitting down to start putting a WOD together I began wasting time on Facebook. Oh the joys of FB!  I saw a comment on my best friend Sarah's Facebook page. The comment referenced Bodyrock which Sarah had introduced to me awhile back.  Bodyrock is an awesome website that has loads of at home workouts with videos and breakdowns of all the exercises - such a great resource.  (Thanks for the introduction, Sarah!)



I continued to spend more time on Facebook chatting with Sarah (I was not wasting time doing this).  We chatted it up about workouts, which we do often, and she told me she did the "600 Rep Workout" yesterday in sunny Santa Barbara.  600 reps- that sounds awesome! I had to see what it entailed. It is 2 rounds of 10 exercises with 30 reps per exercise. Sounds fantastic - I know, I am crazy.  With a few of my own modifications, I had found the total body part of my Snow Day WOD!

For the bike section of my WOD I decided I would do a Tabata workout. What the heck is Tabata, you ask?  It is high-intensity interval training (HIIT) that typically consists of a 2:1 ratio of work to rest.  I will be doing 20 seconds of ultra-intense sprinting on the bike followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times or until I can no longer do it.  (I will do a post just on Tabata in the near future.)

After getting everything ready for my workout (music, bike, etc) I decided I would do just one round of the 600 rep workout.  I figured I should save a little energy for the bike.  Next time I will do the entire 600 reps!!


Here it is:

Leah's Snow Day WOD!

Part 1- 
The 600 Rep Workout
2 Rounds, 30 reps each exercise.
  • Jump Lunge Kick Up
  • Side Burpee Knee Tuck
  • Super Girl Squat
  • Diving Knee Tucks
  • Jack Jump Tuck
  • 3 Push Ups *See note
  • One Leg Jump Up (15/each leg)
  • Ab Chopper **See note
  • Sumo Twist Crunch
  • Plank Lift Off
  • Repeat!!! (I only did it once)
* In the original workout it called for 3D push ups. I decided to do regular push ups since my shoulders and back were killing me from my workout yesterday which involved doing squats while holding 55 pounds overhead.

**(Sit up-reach towards the left. Return to back-sit up reach forward. Return to back-sit up reach to right. That is ONE rep. On Bodyrock each sit up is one rep.  I decided to spice it up! So I guess I did 90reps on this one.)
 
Rest 2-3minutes and move onto Part 2

Part 2
Tabata Bike!
Warm up for 1 song.

8 rounds of:
  • 20 seconds of balls to the wall sprinting
  • 10 second recovery
Cool down 2 minutes.

Done and done! 

What do you like to do when you can't make it to the gym??

No comments:

Post a Comment