Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

a workout and a road trip {bliss}

This past Saturday was spectacular, it was just what the doctor ordered.  Last week was pretty mentally draining for me, I was ready for the weekend.  I couldn't think of a better way to "getaway" from it all than road trip up to Edison, Washington in the Skagit Flats.  But, before this could happen I enjoyed a small cup of decaf coffee and a much needed workout!

{wod}

AMR in 20 minutes

10 Body Blasters
     1 rep = burpee, pullup, knees to elbow
20 strict sit-ups
10 tuck jumps
1 block run, about 200-250meters (+ a flight of stairs getting in/out of my apt)

It was awesome, I highly recommend doing this workout!

{road trip}

Now that I had that fun little number out of the way, I could focus on the task at hand: the road trip.  I got myself ready, scooped up my road trip buddy, Laura, filled up my little civic with some gas - $39 eeeek - and we hit the road.

Let me give you the history of Edison and myself.  This was my fourth time making the 80 minute drive. I love this little gem of a town. I discovered it this past September while I was doing the MS150 ride with the Multiple Sclerosis Society (will touch on this in a later post).  Edison is a cute, quaint "town" in the Skagit Flats in the middle.of.nowhere.  While riding 50 miles, I biked through this "town" - it literally took me 30 seconds to bike through it - I said "This place is soooo cute, I have to come back here."  I mean, this town is small- there are two bakeries, a cafe (Tweets), two bars and a few art galleries...that is about it.  It is so cute.  There is one other establishment that really sold me on this town but I will get to that later.  So, I really had to go back to this place and clearly I have, seeing how this was my fourth time.  My first true visit was on my birthday. Right before my birthday, while in line at Whole Paycheck Foods I glanced over to see the recent issue of the Seattle Met Magazine and on the cover read "30 Perfect Day Trips."  I was very intrigued, I opened it up and lo and behold Edison was in it - how perfect! It also recommended taking a drive up Chuckanut Drive from Edison which winds along the water and spits you out in Fairhaven (old Bellingham).  My birthday turned out to be amazing, so I have made it up to Edison (mainly for Tweet's Cafe) on a regular basis and typically take someone who has never been, like Laura.

Tweets Cafe the reason I keep going back to Edison, well and it is just a cute town!

photo courtesy of settlement.com

Oh, remember how I said there was something that sold me on this cute little town while riding the MS150?  Well, as I was exiting the tiny town, I looked over to my right and saw this:


The liqour store! It is connected to the side of someone's house. How awesome! :) Ok, now that I shared that with you I can get back to Tweets and Edison.

Good ol' Tweets!


 This place is great, I walked in and the owner asks "How are you feeling?" With a very large smile I replied "Very well," especially since I had arrived at Tweets.  He was referring to the elimination diet I was doing the last time I was in.  He was so accommodating then,  just like this time. I ordered the Smoked Yukon King Sandwhich w/ hard boiled egg: potato bread, aioli, shaved fennel and red onion.  Like I said, this was my fourth time at Tweets - they know me and my diet restrictions- thus he knew I gluten and grain free...so he modified my dish. So amazing. Oh and did I mention this was HOUSE smoked salmon?!! P.H.E.N.O.M.E.N.A.L.


We then made our way up beautiful Chukanut Drive to Fairhaven and made a little stop at Drizzle Tasting Room: an olive oil and vinegar tasting room. We discovered this place on my birthday road trip. I have a few infused balsamic vinegars and salts from here and couldn't wait to buy a few more.


Pure heaven!!
The walls are covered with bins full of Extra Virgin Olive Oils (infused and plain), Vinegars,  flavor fused Balsamic Vinegars, infused sea salts and much more!


My loot: 
Persian Lime Fused EVOO, Roasted French Walnut Oil, 
All-Purpose Spice Blend, Spicy Curry Salt, Alaea Sea Salt and Espresso Sea Salt. 


 I am so excited to use all of these. I love the spicy curry salt. I use it in my curried walnut butter. And I cannot wait to use the espresso sea salt on some steak. nom nom.  I love fun and interesting ingredient buys.

We topped off the day by driving into downtown Bellingham and having a late lunch at Boundary Bay Brewery and Bistro.  It was a great atmosphere. I had a lamb burger (no bun, of course) and a salad - very tasy!  Laura had fish tacos, which were also quite tasty. It was a great way to cap the day off.  Sorry no pictures, I totally spaced!

This was a fantastic Saturday. Sometimes you just need to get away to hit the reset button after a long week!  It was much needed. {bliss}

**If you are in the Western Washington area or plan on making it this way, 
I highly recommend making a trip to Edison and up Chukanut Drive**

No comments:

Post a Comment