Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

a good ol' sleepover {a fantastic time}

As I mentioned in a while back, I had the pleasure of having a sleepover with my two favorite young ladies.  This girls rock! They are so full of energy and so much fun to be around.  I am truly blessed to have them (and their parents) in my life.  Now that I am not their nanny, I like to have little dates with them so I can keep up on their busy lives and see their shining faces.  :-) One thing we love to do is have sleepovers - their parents really enjoy the time too! I often will just have one of them, but it was time to up the game and really make it a party with the both of them.

Let me break it down.

After getting off work, I jetted over to their house. I opened the door to them standing there ready, rolling bags packed and all.  They were soooo excited (I was too).  We were informed to take the brown bag - stapled shut - labeled "Super Secret Sleepover Surprise!" and open it when we got home. oh- the anticipation!

We continued on with our sleepover routine. We hit up Jamjuree Thai for dinner and followed it up with the regular trip to 15th Video. The girls picked out Oliver and Company. I tried steering them to other movies but they wouldn't budge - oh well!

We finally made it to my apartment. Now this is where the party gets started!

 First order of business: open the Super Secret Sleepover Surprise package.
Awesome, I know.
FYI: they are from the Gap. I know you are dying to go get your own.

 Now, it is movie time with mani-pedis, of course!
*Leah's Clean Kitchen is a full service establishment.*

 And next, popcorn - yum!

 Bedtime...in a fort, of course. 

Breakfast!!
On the menu: 
Decadent fruit dip (chocolate and plain)
Coconut "Crepe-Cakes"
Almond Flour Pancakes
Scrambled Eggs

 For breakfast, I had grand plans for the girls to cook with me. Well they (mostly Molly) did help make the decadent dip for their pancakes. But, after they soon became way more
 entertained by playing with my stability ball and running around my apartment.
Their laughter was a fabulous noise to hear while I cooked up breakfast!

Molly's favorite pancake was the "crepe-cake."
 Abby's favorite was the almond flour pancake.
 We clearly had a super sensational time! We cannot wait to have our next sleepover.

the recipes

What a wonderful meal. I did make a phone call ahead of time to Molly, age 6, to ask her what she wanted to have for breakfast so I could find some tasty recipes and go grocery shopping. She of course said, pancakes! 

For the fruit dip we followed this recipe from Everyday Paleo.
I adapted this recipe for the coconut "crepe-cakes" from Mark's Daily Apple.
I used this recipe for the Almond Flour Pancake from Blue Ravin. 
And lastly, the scrambled eggs....we scrambled them!

coconut "crepe-cakes" 
adapted from Mark's Daily Apple

4 eggs
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut milk
1-2 tablespoons coconut oil, or oil of choice

Method

1. In a large bowl mix all the ingredients and let sit for five minutes. 

2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Pour about a 1/4 cup of batter for each "crepe-cake," allowing each side to brown before flipping it.

3. After each side is brown, enjoy! 

almond flour pancakes
1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil  
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, or more to taste 
2 eggs 
1/2 cup coconut milk (could use milk or cream of choice)
2 tablespoon melted coconut oil, or butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla 
1 ½ cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
 
Method

1. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk or cream, melted coconut oil or butter and vanilla.  

2. In a medium bowl, mix almond flour, baking soda and salt.  Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture and mix well.

3. Preheat griddle or skillet over medium heat and grease with coconut oil or butter.  Drop batter in scant 1/8-1/4 cupfuls (depending on how large you want them) onto surface.  Make pancakes no more than 3 to 4 inches in diameter so they will be easier to turn.  When first side is golden brown, flip carefully, and cook until the other side is golden brown.

4. Enjoy!

*Make sure you do not over cook these, as nut flours burn easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment