Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

WOD-MOD wk 13 {back in action!}

I know, I know....tt has been a while, far too long. I have been busy getting into the routine of school, a new job and upping my cycling training for some summer events - all of which I have thoroughly enjoy, but it has all put the blog on the back burner. BUT, it is time to get back to the blog.

We each did our own MOD's earlier in the day.  I made a trip to the crossfit gym and enjoyed a killer 30 minute WOD while Meredith ran 10 miles (she is still training for a marathon on June 2).  

WOD {workout of the day}

This was an fantastic workout- long and hard- just what I wanted. 

AMRAP 30 minutes at Stoneway Crossfit

8 KB Swings
Walk 10′
8 Push ups
Walk 10′
8 Box Jumps
Walk 10′
8 V-ups

Notes:
  • You could easily do this WOD at home or the park by omitting the KB swings or subbing a different exercise. Possible exercises to substitute : sit-ups, lunges, tricep dips...
  • Use a bench at the park for box jumps.

MOD {meal of the day}

Last Saturday I enjoyed a fabulous 66 mile ride with my very good friend Lakshmi and Meredith.  After the ride Meredith and I returned to my place and actually stretched - a novel idea after riding 66 miles.  While stretching we drooled over one of my cook books and decided we would make some jambalaya for our MOD.  After doing our perspective WOD's earlier in the day we met up at my place and got to it. We were also blessed with a special guest, Laura, for dinner! It was a delight to have her over and celebrate a new job she took in Chicago - Congrats, Laura!!!

the tasty spread:
jumpin' jambalaya
"fried" cauliflower rice
citrus green salad

 The up close. I had to share this photo because directly after taking this photo my iPhone dropped right into the tasty goodness. I quickly grabbed it while the three of us cracked up!  
The phone is just fine - and yes... I am still using my iPhone for photos.

jumpin' jambalaya

2 tablespoons coconut oil
1.5 pounds chicken breast cut into cubes
2 tablespoons of cajun seasoning (recipe follows)
1 yellow onion, finely diced
3-4 celery stalks, finely diced
1 tablespoon garlic
1 bell pepper, finely diced
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon hot sauce (we used Cholula)
2 teaspoons tamari/soy sauce (typically it is Worchestire sauce, but I did not have any)
red pepper flakes (optional)
salt

Method

1. In a bowl coat chicken with 1 tablespoon of the cajun spice mix. 
2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot- I used my cast iron dutch oven- add chicken and brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. If using sausage, repeat this step.
3. Add diced onion, celery, garlic and bell peppers and saute until tender. You may need to add a little more oil.  If desired, add a little more cajun spice mix. 
4. Add the tomatoes, hot sauce, tamari sauce, pepper flakes and chicken into the pot. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
5. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt to taste.
6. Serve and enjoy with cauliflower rice or regular rice.

Notes:
  • This was awesome the next day.
  • Freeze individual servings to enjoy later!
  • Jambalaya often contains andouille sausage (which the Comfort Foods recipe called for). We didn't have any, so we didn't stress about having it. But I am sure it would be oh(!) so very tasty. 

cajun spice mix

 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Store in an airtight container.


"fried" riced cauliflower

coconut oil
1 head of cauliflower
1/2 yellow onion, diced

Method
1. Chop or grate cauliflower until it is the consistency of rice. (you can also use a food processor)

2.  In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat and saute onion until tender.
3. Add cauliflower and toss well with the onions.
4. Cover for 5-8 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. 

Variations:
  • Add variety: cajun spice mix; thyme; oregano; hot sauce....

No comments:

Post a Comment